Monday, March 28, 2011


Bee Sting

Allergic reactions to flying stinging insects (honeybees, hornets, wasps and yellow jackets) are relatively common.

Most people who are stung by these insects will develop a reaction at the site of the sting that will cause pain, swelling, redness and itching. A smaller percent of people -- about 10 to 15% -- also will experience larger areas of swelling, and the swelling can last up to a week. Rarer still are people who have full-blown allergic reactions that cause anaphylaxis. About .5% of children and 3% of adults will experience anaphylaxis after a stinging insect bite.

In addition, about 40 people in the United States die every year from a venom allergy, although there are likely other deaths from insect stings that are attributed to other causes, and therefore this number is probably a low estimate. Most of these deaths occured among people without a known history of venom allergy. Still, keep in mind this is a very small number of people.

Who's most at risk of having an allergic reaction? People with a history of other allergic diseases, such as allergic rhinitis and asthma.

Signs of Anaphylaxis

When someone has whole-body (systemic, or anaphylaxis) allergic reactions to insect stings, they may experience any or all of the following symptoms, usually within a matter of minutes to a few hours:

  • itching all over,
  • hives or swelling that spreads from the site of the sting,
  • flushing,
  • runny nose, sneezing or post-nasal drip,
  • itchy/watery eyes,
  • swelling of the lips, tongue or throat,
  • shortness of breath, wheezing or coughing,
  • stomach cramping, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea,
  • lightheadedness, fast heart rate, low blood pressure or passing out,
  • sense of panic or metallic taste in the mouth.

*if u guys are wondering as to why im posting this, its becuz this accident happened to me last weekend.. but alhamdulillah im currently recuperating and im gonna be just fine..

No comments: